About Me

My photo
Hi, I am in my 2nd year studying to be a teacher through CQUni. This blog was designed to help me reflect on my findings about ICT tools for my and my future students' learning.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

What I learnt about blogging.

Before this course I had very little knowledge about blogging in society let alone using it in the classroom. I found the reading from Stephen Downes easy to read and benefical in my learning. The statements from students and educational professionals really displayed the positives that blogging has for education. The statement that stood out to me most was that blogging gives oppurtunity for people to reflect, critize, question and react. Personally, I don't like writing reflections because generally I am the only person who will see them and due to time restraints I don't normally consider or read them again. However, I now see value in reflecting via blogging as other people can give feedback and then the reflection has more meaning and value. - it's like a working document. I see this working in a classroom - however the only concern I have is the possiblity of 'outsiders' bullying my students or replying in an inappropriate manner. I would want blogging to be a positive experience for my students. So I was wondering if anyone knew - is there any posibility of blocking certain people from blogs or is it literally open to the whole world? Thanks :) I finally got around to answering this question of mine (because no one else did), and the answer is yes, you can place blocks on blogs. I first went searching through google for the answer, and found that other blogging sites such as "WordPress" allow you to control viewers. However, I have Blogger - so I went exploring through the tabs and found this: It is a tool that allows you to add authors to one blog (useful for a group assignment) and also place blocks/ select the views. I think that this is a great tool as information is more secure and the students may be more likely to share information more freely - knowing who can and can't view it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Interesting research that you have done into this. That is a good question that you initially raised. When using an online tool, such as a blog in a classroom, it can be a daunting thought when you imagine all of the things that could go wrong with it. I must admit, I had some concerns safety when I intitially considering using blogs for learning in a primary classroom. Along with that site that you provided, I did some research and found that the Learning Place also offers a blog that is safe to use as it requires password access. That could be another way of monitoring who sees the blog and who can comment on posts.

    http://education.qld.gov.au/learningplace/communication/blogs/aboutblogs.html

    In conjunction with privacy though, I think it is important to make sure that our learners are working legally and ethically online. This is something that would need to be communicated to learners before they venture into the online realm.

    Happy Blogging :-)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! I recently wrote a blog on how students need to be taught how to work safely online. It’s called Cyber safety, if you want to read it. The blog discusses a government website which provides parents and teachers with a range of resources in teaching cyber safety. I personally like it because most of it is presented in a movie of ocean creatures which has clear messages about safety online. I would encourage you and anyone else to go and view and use these resources.

    ReplyDelete